|Contact||Ms Diana DeSimone, Community Outreach Worker, North Hamilton Community Health Centre; Phone: 905-523-6611; Fax: 905-523-5173; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|More Info Link||www.nhchc.ca|
|Duties||* To meet twin at arranged time and location engage and promote conversational English with twin. |
* To assist twin in becoming familiar with the city and resources available.
* To resort back to the community health worker in the multicultural health program around the position / issues.
|Benefits||* Volunteers receive written evaluations, which can be used as references when applying for other positions. |
* Volunteers have the opportunity to learn more about and gain a greater appreciation of issues dealt with by immigrants and refugees new to Canada.
* Volunteers develop a greater awareness of existing resources and services.
* Volunteers gain experience around interacting in culturally diverse groups.
|Clients||Immigrants and Refugees living in Hamilton.|
|Dates and Times||Suitable time to be arranged between the twin and the twin volunteer.|
|Location||North Hamilton Community Health Centre, 438 Hughson Street North, at Picton Street, Hamilton|
|Number of Positions||Not Limited: 3 individual(s)|
|Ages||16 year(s) and up|
|Suitable for OSSD||Yes|
|Minimum Hours||2 / Week|
|Commitment Length||Medium Term (from 3 - 12 months) ; Long Term (more than 12 months) ; A minimum commitment length of six months is preferred.|
|Training||Orientation ; Orientation ; Training session covering issues specific to the twin position including: |
* History of the Twinning Program.
* Education around issues faced by immigrant/refugees.
* Expected duties and responsibilities of volunteer.
* Material and role-playing around active listening and volunteers will receive a volunteer manual.
|Transportation||On Bus Route - Near the 4 Bayfront bus route. ; Bus tickets are provided for volunteers who take the bus.|
|Start Date||On or after 03 Sep 2012|
|Volunteer Categories||Befriending ; Literacy ; Reading Encouragement ; Recreational Activities ; Tutoring|
|Skills/Experience||* Enthusiasm about meeting people from other cultures and backgrounds. |
* Sensitivity and respect for cultural differences.
* Interest in sharing knowledge and learning from twin.
* Ability to focus and listen carefully.
* Fluency in English.
* Ability to show unconditional positive regard for individuals.
* Ability to respect individuals right to confidentiality.
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||North Hamilton Community Health Centre|
|Address & Map|
|Fax||* 905-523-5173 |
* Clinic Fax 905-523-8735