|Mailing Address||c/o Smokers' Helpline |
1550 Upper James St, Ste 300
Hamilton, ON L9B 2L6
|Toll Free Phone||1-877-513-5333|
|After Hours Phone||1-877-513-5333|
|Primary Contact||Gail Luciano, Manager|
|Alternate Contact||Tammy Ruschpler, Administrative Assistant|
|Accessibility||Not Applicable - Telephone and online service only|
|Located In Community||Hamilton (City of)|
|Description||Free, confidential, non-judgmental, evidence-based telephone service. |
This service offers:
* one-on-one personalized support
* advice and information about quitting smoking
* self-help materials and community referrals
* Quit Coaches who assist with developing a quit plan, coping with cravings, withdrawal symptoms, managing stress and dealing with slips and relapses.
* Third party interpreter service available in over 100 languages.
* presentations, displays and promotional materials to organizations and professionals who work with tobacco users.
Smokers' Helpline is an interactive web-based service which includes:
* online support groups where questions and experiences can be posted
* "Quit Meter" that provides personalized feedback about financial and health gains
* inspirational e-mail support with information, tips and strategies for remaining tobacco-free.
Smokers' Helpline Text Messaging (TXT) offers:
* support, advice and information to smokers and tobacco users who are looking to quit, via their mobile device. TXT is a free service. Users' standard text messaging rates apply; check with your mobile phone provider.
* supportive text messages will be received based on the quit date and preference options. Please go to the website www.smokershelpline.ca for instructions on how to receive text messages. The first message received asks to confirm agreement to the Terms of Service. By replying "ACCEPT" to the text, a series of messages will follow. The following is an example of a supportive TXT message:
"As your body adjusts to life without nicotine, edginess is common. Let others know you are not mad at them but just having a hard time. Emergency Coping Plan: AVOID or LEAVE the situation, DISTRACT, DELAY and use positive SELF TALK."
Group presentations, educational and promotional materials are free and available upon request.
|Hours||Mon-Thu 8 am-9 pm * Fri 9 am-6 pm * Sat-Sun 9 am-5 pm * Smokers Helpline online Mon-Sun 24 hours|
|Languages||English ; French ; Interpretive Services|
|Print Material||Self-help and promotional materials are free and available upon request|
|Funding||Provincial - Ontario Ministry of Health|
|Service Categories||Helplines/Warmlines ~ Smoking Cessation ; Medical Information Lines ~ Smoking/Nicotine Addiction Issues ; Smoking Addiction Support Groups ; Smoking Cessation Support ; Smoking Education/Prevention|
|Subjects||Addictions ; Cancer ; Free services ; Health education ; Health hazards ; Smoking|