City Clerks Division, Vital Statistics, Marriage Licences
|Address & Map|
|Major Intersection||Bay St S and Main St W|
|Office Phone||905-546-2424 ext 2055|
|Alternate Name (Internal use only)||City of Hamilton; Vital Statistics Section; City Clerk's Division|
|Accessibility||Fully Accessible - Wheelchair accesssible from the James Street entrance.|
|Located In Community||Hamilton Central|
|Description||Application forms for marriage licences are available at a number of places in Hamilton and from the Ontario Government web site http://www.mgs.gov.on.ca/ |
* Ancaster Municipal Service Centre - 300 Wilson St E, Ancaster
* Dundas Municipal Service Centre - 60 Main St W, Dundas
* Flamborough Information Centre - 7 Innovation Dr, Waterdown
* Glanbrook Municipal Service Centre - 4280 Binbrook Rd, Binbrook
* Hamilton City Hall - 71 Main St. W., Hamilton
* Stoney Creek Municipal Service Centre - 777 Hwy #8, Stoney Creek
The forms must be filled in first and then the supporting documents produced.
If both parties are present and over 18, identification is required but if one person is absent, he or she must have completed and signed the application and sent it along his or her identification.
If either party is divorced, the original or certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be produced. A special procedure must be followed if the divorce is foreign.
For all applicants, proof of age must be produced.
No one can get married if under the age of 16. If under 18, a consent form must be picked up at the City Clerk's office, and signed by both parents, or the only living parent, or in the case of divorce, by the parent with legal custody or a guardian should attend. The former required period of residence no longer applies. The licence is valid for 3 months.
Note: Do not confuse a marriage licence with a marriage certificate. The licence is required to become married and a certificate is proof of marriage.
*** (Please arrive no later than 4 pm to allow for the 20 to 30 minutes it takes to process and issue the marriage licence.)
|Hours||Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm|
|Areas Served||Hamilton (City of)|
|Application||Two original documents are required. |
* Birth Certificate
* Current Passport
* Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
* Canadian Citizenship Card
* Driver's License
* Ontario Health Card Photo ID
* Current Passport (providing it is not used as the first piece of identification)
|Bus Routes||(1) KING ; (2) BARTON ; (3) CANNON ; (5) DELAWARE - STONEY CREEK ; (6) ABERDEEN ; (7) LOCKE|
|Fees||Service - Current fee is $135.00|
|Service Categories||Marriage Licences|
|Subjects||Marriage licences ; Municipal government|