Sexual Assault / Domestic Violence Care Centre, McMaster Children's Hospital Location
|This location is for children 17 and under only.|
|Address & Map|
|Site Location||Emergency Rooms: McMaster Children's Hospital|
|Major Intersection||Main St W and Emerson St|
|Mailing Address||PO Box 2000 |
Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5
|Office Phone||905-521-2100 ext 73557|
|Crisis Phone||Sexual Assault Centre Support Line 905-525-4162 * Assaulted Women's Helpline (toll free) 1-866-863-0511|
|Located In Community||Hamilton West|
|Description||The Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Care Centres provide care to survivors to help meet their health, emotional and social needs. |
* 24/7 care available
* specialized, specially trained, health care team of nurses, physicians and social workers
Sexual Assault Emergency Medical Care: Providing effective, comprehensive and supportive care for children and adolescents who have experienced sexual assault. Care for children under the age of 13 is provided in conjunction with the Child Advocacy and Assessment Program.
* Assessment and treatment of any physical injuries
* If you wish, collection and recording of physical evidence for completion of a forensic evidence kit which may be used in legal proceedings
* Information, testing, counselling and prophylactic antibiotics to prevent sexually transmitted infections
* Prophylactic antiviral medications to prevent HIV
* The emergency contraceptive pill in order to prevent pregnancy
* Information about and referral to community resources
* Reporting to the police is the decision of the survivor. Hospital staff will not report to the police without the permission of the survivor
* A cultural interpreter will be arranged, if needed.
Follow-up medical care and counselling for children under the age of 13 is provided through the Child Advocacy and Assessment Program. The client may be seen through the Follow-up Clinic even if they did not receive emergency medical care through the Emergency Department.
|Hours||Emergency Services Mon-Sun 24 hours|
|Areas Served||Brant County ; Grey County ; Haldimand County ; Halton Region ; Hamilton (City of) ; Niagara Region ; Norfolk County ; Waterloo Region ; Wellington County|
|Eligibility||Ages: 17 year(s) and under |
Sexual Assault: Emergency medical care for children and youth who have been sexually assaulted.
|Application||*Pediatric* - Sexual Assault Emergency Medical Care: Victims of sexual assault ages 17 and under should present to the McMaster Children's Hospital Emergency Department - serving children only. |
Victims of sexual assault ages 18 and over must access the program through the Emergency Departments at:
Hamilton General Hospital
McMaster Children's Hospital Emergency is for children only.
|Languages||English ; A cultural interpreter will be arranged, if needed.|
|Funding||Provincial - Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care|
|Service Categories||Emergency Room Care ~ Assaulted Children ; General Crime Victim Assistance ~ Child Sexual Assault Survivors ; Sexual Assault Counselling ; Sexual Assault Treatment ~ Children|
|Subjects||Children ; Counselling ; Emergencies ; Family violence ; Sexual assault ; Sexual assault victims ; Youth|