Hamilton and District Extend A Family
|Address & Map|
|Major Intersection||Wellington St N and Barton St E|
|Alternate Contact||Dorothy Payne, Family Coordinator|
|Primary Executive||Greta Peso, Executive Director|
|Alternate Name (Internal use only)||ASD ; Autism Spectrum Disorders ; Buddy Program ; Family Program ; Friendship Garden Program ; PreTeen / Teen Program ; Summer Support Program|
|Located In Community||Hamilton Central|
|Description||The Hamilton and District Extend-A-Family's innovative programs were developed with three main goals: |
* To further the child's social development through new friendships and experiences while maintaining his/her sense of security
* To provide loving care in a home and community environment for children with disabilities
* To foster in the community, a greater awareness of the needs of people with disabilities and their right to share in the life of the community
Extend-A-Family offers the following programs to families and volunteers:
* Buddy Program - Provides a one-to-one match for a child or teen with a disability. Volunteers are carefully screened through an interview and reference process and provide a current police check. Activities are planned by the individuals involved on a monthly basis and can include outings, activities within the family household, or contact by telephone or e-mail. A minimum commitment of 8 hours per month is desired.
* Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Recreational Program - Offers social and recreational group activities, several times a month for children and teens with an ASD diagnosis. Children join volunteers under the supervision of a Recreation Coordinator and participate in fun activities throughout the community or within the facility while parents receive hours of respite. The program is designed to promote friendships while helping to foster social and life skills through interactions with the child's peer group. The Recreation program is inclusive to all children having special needs, who are able to participate and benefit from planned activities in a group environment.
* Host Family Program - This is a friendship program for children with disabilities whereby a screened volunteer family offers to host a child for a few hours a month. The child's disabilities may be physical and/or intellectual deficits.
* Summer Support Program - Students studying in related fields provide one-on-one outings and group activities for special needs children throughout the summer months. Program runs for 10 weeks and provides approximately 4 hours per week respite time for parents/guardians.
*Friendship Garden Program: Families raising children with special needs share friendship, education and socialization while planting and caring for one of our communal garden plots. Produce is shared between participants as harvested.
|Hours||Office Hours: Mon-Thursday, 9 am-5 pm. Telephone and e-mail messages are checked daily.|
|Areas Served||Hamilton (City of)|
|Eligibility||Ages: 1 year(s) - 18 year(s)|
|Bus Routes||(2) BARTON|
|Fees||Membership - Annual Membership Fee of $20.00 ; None|
|Service Categories||Adult/Child Mentoring Programs ~ Children and Youth with Disabilities ; Buddy Programs ~ Children and Youth with Disabilities ; Children's Respite Care ~ Parents of People With Disabilities|
|Subjects||Caregiver relief ; Developmental disabilities ; Family support ; Friendship services ; Home support ; Physical disabilities ; Recreation ; Respite care ; Vacation care ; Volunteer opportunities|
|Local Subjects||Autism Spectrum Disorders|